Search for Jobs:
Safety Specialist Cedar Rapids, IA
Cedar Rapids, IA
Quality work for over 75 years.
Modern is a regional commercial and industrial Mechanical Contractor who is able to provide a one-stop source for plumbing, piping, HVACR service, CAD/BIM, and pre-fabrication project solutions. Our geographic area of focus is the I-35 corridor, Duluth, MN to Dallas, TX. Headquartered in Cedar Rapids, IA Modern has a strong presence in the East Half of Iowa. For more information please visit our website.
The Safety Specialist maintains a safe and effective workplace by fulfilling contract obligations and holding employees responsible for job site and company safety policy adherence.
The Safety Specialist upholds the company’s core values of integrity, service, leadership, empowerment, and innovation while demonstrating a dedicated and results-driven work ethic.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Perform background checks and coordinate drug testing for new hires and various jobsite requirements
· Complete all required written documentation
· Perform Toolbox Safety Talks as needed
· Complete daily reporting on tasks completed, submitting to the Safety Director weekly
· Complete accident and investigation reports
· When on jobsites, act in a supervisory manner for safety related issues. Directing workers when something is unsafe and making proper adjustments to make the work area safe again
· Audit jobsites for health and safety hazards and provide corrective and preventative measures
· Use and maintain safety equipment, such as air monitors, fall protection, and confined space equipment
· Provide information concerning any current or potential safety/health hazards
· Attend jobsite safety meetings
· Inspect and document safety equipment
· Travel up to 50% of the time is required, including overnight travel to jobsites
· Perform other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Effective written and verbal communication skills, both professional and interpersonal
· The ability to work both independently and within a team
· Detailed time management and the ability to multi-task
· Advanced critical thinking and problem-solving skills
· Working knowledge of OSHA construction standards
· A responsible, organized, and detail-oriented mindset
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
Work Environment Considerations
· Sit at a desk/computer for up to 8 hours a day
· Hours may often exceed 40 per week to perform duties effectively
· Work will be both in/outdoors; construction sites will typically have more challenging access and terrain
· Must be familiar with job site safety requirements and be prepared to wear a hardhat, work boots, goggles, and other required PPE at potentially hazardous job sites
· From time to time, may have to stand for long periods of time, climb ladders, walk uneven terrain at construction jobsites and be comfortable with heights
· Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
· 3 years’ experience in field construction safety preferred, but not required
· OSHA 30 preferred, but not required
· First Aid/CPR certification preferred, but not required
At Modern, we understand that every employee is different in their own way. We support and thrive off those differences. We do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, retaliation, military status, or other non-merit factors. Modern is a proud equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer.