Search for Jobs:
Laborer / Carpenter / Concrete Finisher Des Moines, IA
The Weitz Company
Laborer / Carpenter / Concrete Finisher
Des Moines, IA
Our global construction group is comprised of Orascom Construction subsidiaries, The Weitz Company, Contrack Watts Inc., and Watts Constructors. Collectively, we specialize in Commercial, Federal, and Industrial construction projects with a best-in-class Supply Chain segment. We have forged our reputation by constantly seeking new construction innovations and technology that provide our clients and employees with predictable, reliable, and collaborative services. Our commitment to delivering a top quality product has resulted in long-standing customer relationships and recognition by industry rankings as one of the top contractors in the United States.
We view employees as our most valuable asset, and the key to our success. That’s why we provide team members a career (not just a job), supported by learning and development opportunities, and a positive, collaborative work environment. We offer the resources of a large company, while preserving our small company feel. Employees are encouraged to work hard, have fun and build strong relationships along the way! Community involvement, diversity and inclusion, and employee empowerment are central to our Company’s culture.
Our Company views employees as our most valuable asset, and the key to our success. We are committed to growing a diverse and inclusive culture that inspires, motivates, and continuously improves. Community involvement, employee empowerment, and strong relationships makes The Weitz Company a great place to work.
The Weitz Company is seeking Concrete Finishers, Laborers, and Carpenters to be located on a project site in Des Moines, IA.
What You'll Do:
- Place concrete forms one board high
- Oil formwork prior to concrete or grout placement
- Place concrete to specified depth and consistency
- Ensure the reinforcing steel is free of rust, scale, dirt, etc. prior to placement of concrete
- Level, smooth and shape surfaces of freshly poured concrete to specified finish.
- Remove defective spots and finish concrete surfaces to specified finish
- Operate trowel machines, concrete saws, and other concrete finishing equipment
- Patch concrete structures such as walls, floors, stairs, etc.
- Ensure placement of material is completed to prevent ‘cold joints’
- Comply with company policy, standards, codes and safety regulation
- Clean tools and equipment after use; dispose of all trash, scrap concrete, concrete/ grout bags, scrap lumber, etc.; wreck and dispose all form material after curing
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Signal and guide operator to lift and move loads
- Assist carpenters with construction of formwork or other carpentry work
- Assist workers by moving machinery and equipment, or lifting and moving material
- Clean up debris and remove trash
- Assist with pouring concrete walls, floors, footings, etc.
- Push or pull loads as they are lowered and deposited in place
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Erecting scaffolding, ladders and stairs for assembling structures, constructing formwork, installing wood blocking, operating saws, hammers, drills and other mechanical equipment.
- The carpenter builds, repairs and installs counters, cabinets, benches, partitions, floors, building framework, trim, assists with layout of formwork, partitions, etc.
- Installs door frames, doors and door hardware.
- This individual must comply with company policies, safety regulations and building codes.
- Reads and examines blueprints and spec book to determine requirements and correct applications.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to bend, sit, stand and walk on uneven ground; use hands to manipulate objects, tools or controls; frequently make repetitive reaching and other movements with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee frequently is required to speak and listen and must regularly lift and/or move materials. Specific vision abilities include close vision and ability to adjust focus. This list is to be considered general and not all-inclusive. The Company reserves the right to change or modify, consistent with business necessity.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee must wear all company or project required personal protective equipment (PPE), regularly work in outside weather conditions, be aware of close moving mechanical parts, and perform in high, precarious places. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Employee must also be able to work scheduled/ unscheduled overtime, per the needs of the project (weekends and holidays included).
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position at this time.
The Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment (minorities, females, veterans, individuals with disabilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected categories in accordance with state and federal laws). The Company is a drug and alcohol free workplace and background checks are required if applicable. Click the following link to view our Privacy Notice: https://weitz.box.com/s/jrhmq0gmlct94no0wour2yiaywduu7dw
- Competitive Pay and Benefits
- Strong Company and Safety Culture
- Training Opportunities
- Other Benefits, if applicable
A minimum of two (2) years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience is preferred.
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each previously stated duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below represent the knowledge, skills, and ability necessary to succeed in this role.
- Education: High School diploma or general education degree (GED) is preferred.
- Experience: A minimum of two (2) years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience is preferred
- Skills: Ability to listen and follow direction, work with both hand and power tools, muck (puddle) concrete. Current rough terrain forklift, & skid steer certification is preferred. Training and complying with all safety rules, and performing without constant supervision are also requirements of this position.
- Language Skills: A qualified candidate must have the ability to read and interpret safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Candidate must also be able to write routine correspondence and speak effectively with customers and co-workers.
Our projects are typically within a 60 mile radius of Des Moines.