Search for Jobs:
Automation Technician 1 Ankeny, IA
Automation Technician 1
Baker Group, the Midwest’s leading provider of critical building infrastructure systems, is expanding its team of more than 1100 dedicated professionals. Headquartered in Ankeny, Iowa, Baker Group is the recognized leader in developing and deploying a variety of systems for commercial and industrial clients. With special expertise in Mechanical, HVAC, Plumbing, Piping, Electrical, Sheet Metal, Automation, Access Control, Security Cameras, Parking Revenue Control, Fire Alarm design and 24/7/365 Service, our team includes the breadth of skills required in the construction of highly technical, special-use buildings like hospitals, educational facilities, corporate office buildings, data centers, industrial facilities and research laboratories. To learn more about our company and our career opportunities, please visit www.thebakergroup.com.
Do you care about people and possess a passion for service? Do you love what you do and leap at the opportunity to solve complex challenges with equal parts creativity and teamwork? Are you mentally tough and excited by the prospect of exceeding expectations? Do you proudly take ownership in your work in a way that pushes you to partner with leadership to accomplish long-term goals and move your organization forward? If your answer to these questions is a resounding “Yes!” we want to visit with you about a career at the Baker Group.
This "entry-level" position will provide technical start-up and programming for Building or Process Automation and Control Systems. Maintain and grow the “Customer for Life” concept for existing and new customers.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
The following duties are typical for this job. These are not to be constructed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Minimal light installation of Microprocessor based control components including DDC controllers, sensors, actuators, transducers, and associated components
- Point-to-point checkout of wiring and components for proper grounding, polarity, communication and power
- Calibration of input and output devices
- Uploading, downloading, and modification of control software
- Modification and creation of software sequences as necessary to make systems operational as per levels listed below
- Full control system checkout throughout using advanced electronic and mechanical systems knowledge as per levels listed below
- Ability to add new control sequences as per levels listed below
- Ability to set up full graphical interface networks and provide a turnkey project with minimal office support as per levels listed below
- Accurate daily time and equipment reporting and adherence to safety policies
- Laptop PC
- Electronic Multimeter
- Specialized Calibration Equipment
- Hand tools/Light power tools
- Product Manufacturer Software
- Computer systems: DOS, Windows, Linux, QNX
Baker Group offers a competitive compensation, excellent benefits, including ESOP, and a positive work environment. Wage is dependent on experience.
Baker Group is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
All positions are contingent upon successfully completing a drug test.
*Care About People* *Love What We Do* *Mentally Tough* *Own It*
- 0-3 years of experience
- Able to follow direction from supervisor/mentor
- Knowing to ask for help when there are any ambiguities
- Good communication skills to other trades and customers
- Able to understand and change network basics such as IP addresses subnet masks and gateways
- Able to understand and set up BACnet basics such as MAC addresses and instance numbers
- Able to identify basic systems we control: AHUs, chillers, boilers and identify input and output sensors and where they are located:
- AHUs, Supply Air, Mixed Air, Return Air, Flow Stations. Etc.
- Chillers - Primary, Secondary sensor types and locations
- Boilers - Primary, Secondary sensor types and locations
- Learn how the controlled equipment and learn basic sequences
- Able to perform 100% complete and verifiable point-to-point checkout
- Able to download existing programs from tech tools to end controllers, bring controller points into supervisory controller, and add alarms and history extensions to supervisory controller points
- Able to bring points into graphical front end and link points to graphics
- Able to assist in basic customer training
Mental and Physical Competencies required to perform essential functions:
- Advanced knowledge of commercial mechanical system components
- Ability to set up/use full system-wide applications in these operating environments
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to perform all necessary duties unsupervised
At any given time, may be exposed to:
- Typical construction site and/or industrial site risks and environment