Search for Jobs:
Superintendent Burlington, IA
Carl A. Nelson & Company
$Dependent on experience
Carl A. Nelson & Company has gained extensive experience in numerous construction markets, and today serves the design-build construction, construction management and general contracting needs of industrial, healthcare, education, recreation, office/commercial, civic/community, laboratory, power plant and water/wastewater treatment plant clients.
In addition to construction and renovation projects, Carl A. Nelson & Company also is capable of delivering services to clients in the areas of design consultation, code review and Building Information Modeling with Nelson Design, Inc., and small project construction and ongoing maintenance in operating industrial plants through our Nelson Plant Services division. Our Pre-Engineered Building Systems office can address your needs for pre-engineered metal buildings.
For education and healthcare clients, Carl A. Nelson & Company also has a track record of successfully leading facility needs assessment and master planning processes.
Organization Name: Carl A. Nelson & Company
Job Department: Superintendent
Reports to: General Superintendent
Job Location: Varies
Corporate Office: Burlington or Cedar Falls, IA Office
FLSA Status: Exempt
Principal Objective of Position:
The Superintendent will be tasked to work with the Project Manager and are responsible for the overall coordination and implementation of field activities on their assigned project. They are the on-site representative to the owner (or their designated on-site representative), subcontractors and suppliers. The are expected to represent the Company to our employees with respect to their productivity, skill development, health and welfare and policy enforcement.
· Ensure all projects are performed in accordance with contractual and quality standards
· Take necessary action to assure that the project objectives for cleanliness, safety, budget, schedule, quality and process are met
· Track, organize, and maintain daily paperwork including field reports, schedule updates and email correspondence to keep all necessary parties
informed of important issues
· Attend, and at times, lead pre-construction, progress, and other project and staff meetings
· Provide assistance to sub-contractors when necessary in order for them to complete jobs on time and in compliance with quality and workmanship
· Create and manage punch list items as the individual trades and project nears completion
· Assist in tracking and maintaining construction logs for RFIs, ASIs, Change Orders, and inspections
· Communicate project information to and from the subcontractors and vendors
· Assist with estimating for new construction projects and changes to projects
· Organize and set up weekly subcontractor meetings.
· Track meeting minutes and action items.
· Organize and track daily construction activities.
· Managing the submittal process with subcontractors and vendors.
· Close out of subcontractor’s contracts and the individual project’s completion
· Reviewing subcontractor pay applications with field staff and accounting dept.
· Promote and maintain a culture that values professionalism, honesty, safety, and cleanliness.
· Participate in training and other forms of continuous improvement initiatives.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Engineering or Management or related field or equivalent experience
· 30 Hour OSHA Training preferred
Minimum of 5 years of experience in supervisory rolls in the construction field
Previous experience with BlueBeam or Adobe Acrobat preferred
Previous Experience with SureTrak preferred
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Standard hours of work are Monday through Friday 7:00a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Hours of Work may fluctuate depending on the needs of the projects. Some overtime may be required.
Travel to job sites may be required. Job site locations are variable.
Key Skills and Abilities:
· Working knowledge of means and methods of construction
· Working knowledge of the Company’s Policies and Procedures
· Working knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, and their applications and using mathematics to solve problems
· Strong English verbal and written communication skills
· General knowledge of basic features of Excel or similar spreadsheet program
· General knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records.
· Ability to understand written documents, flowcharts, and construction plans
· Ability to communicating effectively in verbally or in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience
· Ability to understand the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making
· Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
· Ability to give full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not
interrupting at inappropriate times
· Ability to be aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do
· Ability to work individually or as part of a team and to foster and maintain a team environment where all members are working toward a common end
· Ability to directly assist in the successful execution of other team member’s roles and responsibilities
· Managing one's own time and deadlines
· Perform effectively in environments with frequent workload changes and competing demands
· Perform with frequent interruptions and/or distractions
· Set priorities which accurately reflect the relative importance of job responsibilities
· Adjust priorities quickly as circumstances dictate
· Prioritize assignments and complete work in a timely manner
· Work independently and follow through on assignments with minimal direction
· Make appropriate job decisions following standard office policies and past precedents
· Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with co-workers, customers, vendors, and the public
· Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself to make improvements or take corrective action
· Identifying problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions
· Adjust own actions in relation to others' actions
· Review own work and work of others for accuracy
Physical Demands and Requirements:
· Extended periods of sitting or standing may be required
· May be required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl
· Frequently lift and/or move 100 pounds and occasionally lift and/or more items over 100 pounds with OR without assistance
· Repetitive Motions
· Walking, climbing, stooping, kneeling, bending and Climbing Stairs and ladders
· Reaching with hands and arms including items overhead
· Use of hands and fingers to handle, feel, and operate office or other equipment or machines
· Normal or corrected normal vision and hearing
· Clear speech
· Extensive use of computer keyboards and screens
· Other requirements as noted in the Employee Physical Demand Profile
1. At times Indoors, Environmentally Controlled
2. Various job site conditions including exposure to:
1. Variety of extreme conditions
2. Fumes or airborne particles
3. Moving mechanical parts and vibration
4. Various outside weather conditions
· Frequent contact with others including external and internal customers and vendors through; e-mail, face-to-face discussions, letters and memos and telephone
· Will have to deal with conflict situations
· Accuracy of work is critical
· Frequent interruptions
· Fluctuating workload
· Repetitive tasks
· Working individually or with group or team
· Requires some overtime subject to Company policies
Tools and Technology Used
· Laptop computers
· Office Equipment, copiers, scanners, fax machine
· Hand tools, power tools, and various other construction equipment Software
· Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook or similar programs
· HH2 Remote Payroll
· Adobe Acrobat Pro and/or Bluebeam
· Suretrak scheduling software
Additional Pay Available for:
- Osha 30
- Certified Welders
- Craft & Safety Training
Subsistence (Per Diem)