Search for Jobs:
Grimes Asphalt & Paving Corp. Supervisor Des Moines, IA
Grimes Asphalt & Paving Corp. Supervisor
Des Moines, IA
$80,000 - $110,000
The Rasmussen Group is an Iowa-based company with over a century of heavy construction experience and expertise. Based in Des Moines, Iowa, The Rasmussen Group represents a variety of multi-faceted design-build heavy construction companies. With companies specializing in bridge construction, marine contracts, concrete and asphalt supply, paving, heavy hauling, dump trucks, crane operations, and fabricating steel, The Rasmussen Group can provide excellent, complete customer service with one phone call. Our companies ensures for an on-time, safe, professional build that will keep your project on budget and provide for its successful completion.
The Asphalt and Paving Supervisor position is responsible for supervising the paving crew and managing the day-to-day operations, but not limited to communication with truck drivers; handling the aspects related to plant personnel and customers; scheduling and necessary maintenance. This position is also responsible for facilitating and scheduling employees to ensure job sites are set up and ready to go and that workers are engaged in the activities of milling, spreading, rolling, patching, and paving of asphalt.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions):
- Responsible for a safe work environment for themselves and co-workers daily.
- Properly follow all company policies and OSHA/MSHA regulations for a safe working environment. Report any problems to the Superintendent, Safety Manager, or Human Resources Manager.
- Communicates daily with customer and Project Manager/Superintendent to ensure project is complete within timeline.
- Responsible for managing personnel as well as scheduling and monitoring time worked.
- Ensures that quality control standards are met.
- Responsible for ensuring daily maintenance and service on plant is completed schedules major repairs.
- Perform general laboring duties when necessary.
- Other duties as assigned per supervisor.
- Regular and predictable attendance at assigned times is required.
- Highly competitive base pay.
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance programs.
- Group retirement savings program.
- Health and wellness programs.
- Accrual based paid time off and paid holidays.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- Related experience and/or training in a construction environment preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and tools involved in construction and paving and can use such tools properly and safely.
- Ability to read, write, and accurately perform basic mathematical functions including adding, subtracting, multiplication and division.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to effectively direct others in the workplace.
- Must possess knowledge of Company policies and procedures, including safety.
- Must consistently produce and efficient, accurate work product.
- Problem Solving – this individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Planning and Organizing – this individual prioritizes and plans work activities and uses time efficiently.
- Quality Control – this individual demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness, monitors own work to ensure quality and applies feedback to improve performance.
- Quantity – this individual meets productivity standards and completes work in a timely manner.
- Adaptability – this individual adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Safety and Security – this individual observes safety and security procedures and uses equipment and materials properly.
- Must be at least 18 years in age or older.
- Must have a current and valid driver’s license.
- Display a professional and courteous attitude to co-workers, supervisors, and the general public at all times.
- Must pass post-offer employment drug testing, medical exams, and physical agilities testing.
- Willingness to work in a team environment and assist co-workers and/or supervisors with other duties as required.
- Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required.
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary.
- Individuals are required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) in designated operations and production areas as stated by OSHA and/or MSHA.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to stand, walk, use hands and fingers to manipulate objects or controls, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk and hear.
- May require sitting for extended periods of time.
- Vision abilities (with correction) include close, distance, peripheral, depth, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Able to climb ladders and to work at heights.
- Able to occasionally move/carry objects up to 50 lbs.
- Able to work extended hours.
- Able to work in all weather conditions.
- Able to work in tight quarters.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; outside weather conditions; and extreme cold and/or heat.
- The employee may be occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals.
- The employee may be exposed to risk of electrical shock or burn.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- Work schedule is Monday through Friday with weekend and some holiday and evening work required. Generally, 50+ hours per week.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Company and its designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.