Search for Jobs:
Project Engineer I - Industrial Construction Ankeny, IA
Project Engineer I - Industrial Construction
Baker Group, the Midwest’s leading provider of critical building infrastructure systems, is expanding its team of more than 1100 dedicated professionals. Headquartered in Ankeny, Iowa, Baker Group is the recognized leader in developing and deploying a variety of systems for commercial and industrial clients. With special expertise in Mechanical, HVAC, Plumbing, Piping, Electrical, Sheet Metal, Automation, Access Control, Security Cameras, Parking Revenue Control, Fire Alarm design and 24/7/365 Service, our team includes the breadth of skills required in the construction of highly technical, special-use buildings like hospitals, educational facilities, corporate office buildings, data centers, industrial facilities and research laboratories. To learn more about our company and our career opportunities, please visit www.thebakergroup.com.
Do you care about people and possess a passion for service? Do you love what you do and leap at the opportunity to solve complex challenges with equal parts creativity and teamwork? Are you mentally tough and excited by the prospect of exceeding expectations? Do you proudly take ownership in your work in a way that pushes you to partner with leadership to accomplish long-term goals and move your organization forward? If your answer to these questions is a resounding “Yes!” we want to visit with you about a career at the Baker Group.
(f/k/a Assistant Project Manager)
Department: Industrial Construction
FLSA Designation: Exempt
The Project Engineer provides technical support and administrative help to Project Managers and the business unit as a whole. When located on selected sites you will receive a 25% travel incentive.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are typical for this job. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
At a high level, under direct supervision of a Project Manager, a Project Engineer will:
- Provide sales and business development support as needed to build client relationships, obtain more work, including providing assistance with design, material selection, estimating, and creation of proposals, scope letters, contracts, etc.
- Participate in ongoing review, planning and formulation as it relates to the specific business unit and contribute to the team on how to achieve required and desired results.
- Assist with day-to-day coordination and administration of projects, to include but not limited to: understanding project scope, managing budgets and fiscal controls through value engineering, monitoring quality control provisions, coordinating work sequencing, issuing purchase orders, procurement, change orders, and contractor approvals, as appropriate.
- Assist with procuring subcontractors and monitoring their work quality and schedule as required for installation.
- Ensure customer satisfaction by continual communication on scheduling coordination, project progress, and obtaining feedback on Baker Group’s performance, sharing any positive or negative feedback with team.
- Attend jobsite visits, internal project meetings, and coordinate meetings as directed, including tracking action items and providing appropriate follow-up.
- Help ensure project performance, operations and delivery are in compliance with design and/or specifications.
- Develop relationships with customers and pursue opportunities which provide long-term relationships and revenue opportunities.
- Utilize company standard documents including but not limited to business development processes, pre-proposal checklists, turnovers, subcontracts, purchase orders, warranty, etc.
- Confer with project managers, business unit leaders, etc. to discuss and resolve any questions, complications or problems.
- Accurate daily time and equipment reporting.
MINIMUM EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Project Engineer I:
- Entry level role, typically supervised by a Project Manager.
- Offers information, helps with coordination and preparation, assists with analyzing and compiling data.
- May help prepare estimates and inspect work to assure compliance with plans and specifications.
- Begins to build solid knowledge about the company, their trade best practices, recognized work standards and expectations.
- Builds solid understanding of job cost history, contract status and job overview reports.
- Builds skill in managing customer relationships, working with Accounting to bill customer and enter budget, and ensure quality execution.
- Position normally requires a 4-year Engineering or Construction Management degree and 0-1 year of experience, including internships.
- Project Engineer II‐ meets all requirements of Project Engineer I above and:
- Serves as a project technical source, providing interpretation and resolving questions and problems.
- Coordinates pieces of the project given proven skill and ability.
- Now involved in more detailed processes directly related to project execution, including budgeting, resource allocation, schedule development and quality controls, or other similar functions that require more expertise and experience.
- Takes on additional client relationship building activities that lead to increased business revenue for Baker Group.
- Position normally requires a 4‐year Engineering or Construction Management degree and 1‐4 years of experience, including internships.
- May begin to run small projects or develop a book of business on their own.
- Usually develops into a Project Manager role.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Valid driver’s license
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL COMPETENCIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Strong technical skills, including but not limited to, experience with the following software: project management, accounting, scheduling, inventory, design, document management, e-mail, Microsoft Office Suite, time accounting and spreadsheets.
- Excellent active listening, verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong initiative and attention to detail, prioritization, and organization skills; ability to work independently and effectively in a team environment.
- Confident decision-making ability.
- Ability to read and comprehend drawings and sketches.
- Ability to understand and adhere to contract terms and conditions.
- Ability to maintain technical expertise on new technologies, products, and tools through continuing education initiatives.
- Basic knowledge of construction and renovation, including materials, methods, tools, etc. involved in strategic planning resource allocation and modeling, production methods and coordination of people and resources in a safe manner.
- Knowledge of practical application of engineering science and technology, including applying principles, techniques, procedures and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services.
At any given time, may be exposed to:
- Normal office conditions
- Exposure to weather, heat, cold
- Wet &/or humid
- Exposure to dust/fumes
- Noise intensity – Loud
- Exposure to toxic/caustic chemicals
- In proximity to moving mechanical parts
- Exposure to electrical shock
- Working in high/exposed places
- Tape measure
- PPE (hard hat, safety glasses, safety boots, Hi-Vis vest)
- Clothing: jeans, appropriate office shirt