Search for Jobs:
Grimes Asphalt & Paving Corp. Operator Des Moines, IA
Grimes Asphalt & Paving Corp. Operator
Des Moines, IA
$50,000 - $70,000
The Rasmussen Group is an Iowa-based company with over a century of heavy construction experience and expertise. Based in Des Moines, Iowa, The Rasmussen Group represents a variety of multi-faceted design-build heavy construction companies. With companies specializing in bridge construction, marine contracts, concrete and asphalt supply, paving, heavy hauling, dump trucks, crane operations, and fabricating steel, The Rasmussen Group can provide excellent, complete customer service with one phone call. Our companies ensures for an on-time, safe, professional build that will keep your project on budget and provide for its successful completion.
The Asphalt Operator is responsible for operating various types of paving equipment used in the application of asphalt on roads, highways, parking lots, and other surfaces. This position requires knowledge and skills in operating an asphalt paver, skid loader, roller, and various other types of paving equipment.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
- Operate asphalt paver and other paving equipment.
- Ability to lay asphalt to close specification control which is subject to strict inspection guidelines.
- Perform maintenance work on asphalt pavers and other equipment, including oiling, greasing, and necessary adjustments.
- Perform minor servicing and maintenance of equipment; refer major problems to the supervisor.
- Follow all company policies and OSHA/MSHA regulations for a safe working environment.
- Follow direction of Foreman as to daily tasks and expectations for each specific project or jobsite.
- Report any problems to the Foreman, Superintendent, Safety Manager, or Human Resources Manager.
- Perform daily pre-and-post inspections with appropriate documentation in compliance with company policies.
- Performs duties as directed related to the plant and plant site.
- Other duties as assigned per supervisor.
- Regular and predictable attendance at assigned times is required.
- Highly competitive base pay.
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance programs.
- Group retirement savings program.
- Health and wellness programs.
- PTO and Holiday pay.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) preferred.
- Three to five years of related experience and/or training with operating all types of paving equipment.
- CDL A license with tanker endorsement preferred; willing to train.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and tools involved in construction and paving and can use such tools properly and safely.
- Ability to read, write, and accurately perform basic mathematical functions, including adding, subtracting, multiplication and division.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Must possess knowledge of Company policies and procedures, including safety.
- Must consistently produce an efficient, accurate work product.
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older.
- Must have a current and valid driver’s license.
- Display a professional and courteous attitude to co-workers, supervisors, and the general public at all times.
- Must pass post-offer employment drug testing, medical exams, and physical agilities testing.
- Willingness to work in a team environment and assist co-workers and/or supervisors with other duties as required.
- Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required.
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary.
- Individuals are required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) in designated operations and production areas as stated by OSHA and/or MSHA.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee is frequently required to sit, climb, and use hands to signal and handle equipment.
- Able to stand, walk, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, bend, talk and hear.
- Able to use hands and fingers to manipulate objects or controls and reach with hands and arms above their shoulders.
- The employee must have the strength, mobility, agility, and balance to ascend access ladders and steps, and to maneuver on equipment and vehicles without assistance.
- Must be able to exert up to 10-20 lbs constantly to move objects, 25-50 lbs of force frequently and 50-100 lbs of force occasionally.
- Vision abilities (with correction) include close, distance, color, peripheral, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Able to work in all weather conditions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; outside weather conditions; and extreme cold and/or heat.
- The employee may be occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals.
- The employee may be exposed to the risk of electrical shock or burn.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- Work schedule is Monday through Friday with weekend and some holiday and evening work required. Generally, 60+ hours per week.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Company and its designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.