Search for Jobs:
Safety Manager Cedar Rapids, IA
The Weitz Company
Cedar Rapids, IA
The Weitz Company is one of the oldest general contractors in the United States, specializing in Commercial and Industrial construction projects, supported by a best-in-class Supply Chain business segment. We have forged our reputation by constantly seeking new construction innovations and technology that provide our clients and employees with predictable, reliable, and collaborative services. Our commitment to delivering a top quality product has resulted in long-standing customer relationships and recognition by industry rankings as one of the top contractors in the United States.
Weitz views employees as our most valuable asset, and the key to the success of the Company. Employees enjoy the ability to build relationships, network and make an impact on our communities. We promise every employee competitive pay and benefits, a safe place to work, a career path supported by training and development opportunities, and a positive work environment. Employees are encourage to work hard, have fun and build strong relationships along the way!
Our global construction group is comprised of Orascom Construction subsidiaries, The Weitz Company, Contrack Watts Inc., and Watts Constructors. Collectively, we specialize in Commercial, Federal, and Industrial construction projects with a best-in-class Supply Chain segment. We have forged our reputation by constantly seeking new construction innovations and technology that provide our clients and employees with predictable, reliable, and collaborative services. Our commitment to delivering a top quality product has resulted in long-standing customer relationships and recognition by industry rankings as one of the top contractors in the United States.
We view employees as our most valuable asset, and the key to our success. That’s why we provide team members a career (not just a job), supported by learning and development opportunities, and a positive, collaborative work environment. We offer the resources of a large company, while preserving our small company feel. Employees are encouraged to work hard, have fun and build strong relationships along the way! Community involvement, diversity and inclusion, and employee empowerment are central to our Company’s culture.
What We Offer:
- Competitive Pay
- Rewarding Bonus Program
- Comprehensive Benefits Package with Tax-Advantaged HSA and FSA offerings
- Employer-Paid Short and Long Term Disability Programs
- Employer-Paid Life Insurance
- Generous Paid Time Off Provisions
- 401K Retirement Savings Plan With Company Match
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Fully Paid Parental Leave
- Voluntary Products including: Pet Insurance, Critical Illness Insurance and Accident Insurance
- Corporate Wellness Program with Wellness Time Off and Rewards
The Weitz Company is seeking a Safety Manager to be located in Cedar Rapids, IA.
The Safety Manager implements and administers the company safety program at project site(s). The Safety Manager ensures compliance with corporate and federal safety regulations, audits existing projects for corporate and federal safety standard compliance, updates safety and health policies and procedures, develops safety training programs, manages workers compensation cases and conducts incident investigations of injuries, environmental events and equipment accidents.
What You'll Do:
- Keep business apprised of safety regulatory changes and facilitate the implementation of these changes in the field.
- Provide general counsel, advice, and recommendations for safety programs and activities, work practices, company rules and procedures, and state workers' compensation law, for the assigned business management team.
- Support site inspections by third-party representatives and OSHA inspectors.
- Facilitate safety inspections and verify adequacy of corrective actions.
- Ensure any employee has the authority to stop work they feel is unsafe until the issue(s) can be resolved.
- Facilitate and coordinate the Safety Committee and work to implement a positive, employee-supported program.
- Assemble and present incident investigation facts for evaluation and action by Safety Accountability Committee.
- Facilitate, through the business management team, communication regarding safety issues and best practices throughout the organization.
- Generate and provide high-quality safety training.
- Verify project team incident investigations and How It Happened reports for completeness and accuracy.
- Perform inspections of all construction projects to evaluate levels of compliance.
- Perform industrial hygiene assessments (noise monitoring, air monitoring, etc).
- Support proposal activities for new work by detailing company capabilities and providing appropriate responses to client's questions.
- Participate in the creation of project safety plans.
- Represent the assigned business in all safety-related hearings (OSHA, etc.).
- Support administration of company Vehicle Safe Driver Policy.
- Support administration of company Drug and Alcohol Policy.
- Performs other duties and projects as assigned
What We're Looking For:
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each previously stated duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and ability necessary to succeed in this role.
- Education: A high school diploma or equivalent work experience is required. An industry-related college degree is desirable. Safety certifications are preferred and may be required for certain military project positions.
- Experience: Four years of construction work experience is required. Experience as a safety professional with a demonstrated progression of management responsibility is preferred.
- Skills: Strong management and organizational skills are required. Broad-based background in multiple phases of construction. Business acumen, conflict resolution, and coaching ability are a must. Ability to identify and resolve issues in a timely and efficient manner. Effective communication skills, with strong technical writing skills. The ability to speak in front of large groups. Proven leadership skills in motivating and mentoring all levels of employees. Proficient computer skills including use of Microsoft Office applications.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position at this time.
The Company does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or agencies. Any resume submitted to any employee of the Company without a prior written search agreement will be considered unsolicited and the property of the Company. Please, no phone calls or emails.
The Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment (minorities, females, veterans, individuals with disabilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected categories in accordance with state and federal laws). The Company is a drug and alcohol free workplace and background checks are required if applicable.