Search for Jobs:
Safety Specialist Ames, IA
$Commensurate on experience
Woodruff Construction, LLC is a general contractor founded in 1956 which offers award-winning design-build, construction management and project development services to clients across Iowa, with offices in Ames, Fort Dodge, Iowa City, and Waterloo. Our team not only strives to achieve our clients' goals and visions, but to also provide them with an enjoyable building experience.
We provide a dynamic environment where each individual is challenged to be his or her best, and we are continually searching for qualified professionals to join our team. Woodruff is committed to employing a diverse workforce and encourages those with a wide range of backgrounds to inquire about our job opportunities. Build your future with us.
Woodruff Construction is looking for a Safety Specialist out of its Ames office.The Safety Specialist is responsible for ensuring employees have a safe place in which to work, examines ways to keep the work environment safe and secure, develops guidelines for a safer and more efficient way of working while complying with applicable OSHA standards and regulations. The successful employee will exhibit Woodruff's core values of Family, Service, Purposeful, Dependability and Enjoyment.
- Safety Training
- Maintains applicable OSHA training to perform their duties
- Provide or coordinate necessary training to personnel to ensure tasks are completed safely
- Perform New-Hire orientations and required trainings
- Safety Preplanning
- Ensure projects have safety plans including job specific plans using OSHA guidelines and Woodruff safety policies and procedures
- Regular check-ins with field leaders, project managers, and field operations managers to assist with resolving safety issues that are in red on the regional project scorecard
- Research OSHA guidelines and other industry best practices
- Controls hazardous working conditions and unsafe employee practices through site visits, site specific safety plans and education of all personnel
- Safety Resource
- Perform regular safety audits of projects
- Complete action items as they relate to improvements identified in weekly safety audits and near miss observations.
- Complete root cause analysis and assists with implementation of identified solutions for incident investigations and near misses
- Assist in documentation and implementation of required or desired changes in safety program
- Assist in consistently maintaining and cascading the company’s safety program
- Review subcontractor safety submittals and other related items
- Coordinate weekly toolbox talk program
- Assist warehouses in managing inventory of PPE and other safety equipment
- Follow and promote safe work practices and safe working conditions in accordance with all Federal, State and Local regulations and owner/contractual requirements in a manner that promotes cooperation and improved morale
- Review and address project safety documentation (observations, near misses, incidents, etc.) and photos
- Attend and document safety committee meetings
At Woodruff, We attribute our success to the investment and retention of our quality employees. Our firm values its employees and offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Competitive salary with project performance based bonuses
- Generous health insurance benefits
- Paid holidays
- Paid time off
- Bereavement leave
- Dental insurance
- Basic life insurance
- Flexible spending account
- 401K retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement and continuing education
- Direct payroll deposit
- Employee assistance program
- Company cell phone and laptop
- High School diploma or GED required
- 2-5 years’ related construction or safety experience and/or training preferred.
- Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance
- Able to work well in a team environment
- Valid driver’s license
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Must be able to contain confidential information