Search for Jobs:
Estimator Ames, IA
Story Construction Co.
$Based on education and experience
Story Construction Co. is an employee-owned Merit-Shop general contractor with over 70 years of experience. Story offers a full range of services and delivery methods including general construction, design-build, construction management, and Butler pre-engineered buildings. Story has complete design-build capabilities with licensed architects on staff. Markets include manufacturing/warehousing/distribution facilities; food processing; water and wastewater treatment plants; educational facilities; healthcare facilities; churches and senior living facilities.
As innovators in the construction field for the past 85 years, we’re constantly seeking ways to improve the process of building… in a brick-and-mortar sense and a people sense.
We are passionate about the construction process because we are builders at heart. We are in a rewarding business, in the finest region of our country, doing meaningful work. If you have a desire to be part of an employee-owned company that appreciates and encourages teamwork as well as the unique contributions of intelligent individuals, we'd love to hear from you.
The Estimator will prepare cost estimates for construction projects to aid management in bidding on or determining the price of a construction project.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Exhibits Story’s Core Values of Honest, Caring, Integrity, Hardworking, Helpful, and Planful.
- Reviews proposal specifications and drawings.
- Provides accurate quantity take-off based on the drawings and specifications.
- Reviews design options or construction options and determines best solutions based on cost, quality, and availability of materials, equipment, or other factors.
- Uses estimating software to prepare, develop, and facilitate estimates, bids, and takeoffs.
- Solicits and obtains material and subcontractor quotes and ensures understanding of project requirements, scope of work, work durations, schedule, and other aspects relevant to the project.
- Identifies and reports errors, ambiguities, and missing information in contract documents. Seeks additional information and clarification from Architects, Engineers, and Owners as needed.
- Produces estimates that are accurate and consider risk factors and construction methods.
- Maintains positive relations with clients, subcontractors, and the community.
- Communicates effectively with other members of the team and works as a part of a team.
- Paid Holidays
- Sick Leave
- Bereavement Leave
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Company-paid Term Life Insurance, AD&D
- Medical and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Plans
- Company-paid Long-term Disability Insurance
- 401(k) (100% immediately vested company match)
- Travel Per Diem
- Continuing Education
- Safety Boot and prescription protective equipment reimbursement
Story Construction is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Story Construction participates in E-Verify: Right to Work
Story Construction is a Drug-Free Workplace
Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Engineering, Civil Engineering, or Construction Management Three or more years of experience in Commercial or Industrial Construction Estimating. Experience in self-performed work, concrete, steel, and carpentry estimating preferred. Previous experience using Estimating and Digital Takeoff software. Proficiency using Sage/Timberline, PlanSwift, and Insite software preferred.