Search for Jobs:
Project Manager Ames, IA
Story Construction Co.
$Based on Experience
Story Construction Co. is an employee-owned Merit-Shop general contractor with 85 years of experience. Story offers a full range of services and delivery methods including general construction, design-build, construction management, and Nucor pre-engineered buildings. Story has complete design-build capabilities with licensed architects on staff. Markets include manufacturing/warehousing/distribution facilities; food processing; water and wastewater treatment plants; educational facilities; healthcare facilities; churches and senior living facilities.
About Story Construction
As innovators in the construction field for the past 85years, we’re constantly seeking ways to improve the process of building… in a brick-and-mortar sense and a people sense.
We are passionate about the construction process because we are builders at heart. We are in a rewarding business, in the finest region of our country, doing meaningful work. If you have a desire to be part of an employee-owned company that appreciates and encourages teamwork as well as the unique contributions of intelligent individuals, we’d love to hear from you.
The Project Manager is the company's "Management Representative" responsible for contract administration and the safe completion of projects within the budget, on schedule, to the company's quality standards, and to the customer's satisfaction. The Project Manager is a leader in creating a positive environment that supports continuous improvement and ensures the work is being put in place in a safe and productive manner.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Exhibits Story’s Core Values of Honest, Fair, Integrity, Hardworking, Helpful, Planful
- Increases the effectiveness of Superintendent and staff.
- Acts as a leader in creating a positive environment that supports continuous improvement and ensures the work is being put in place in a safe and productive manner.
- Assists the Superintendent and project team in their professional development through mentoring, teaching, training and coaching.
- Initiates any action required to achieve the project objectives and to ensure that all project activities are consistent with company policy.
- Ensures that all logistical support is completed timely so the Superintendent can concentrate on the daily and weekly direction of the crew at the jobsite.
- Prioritizes and plans work activities and approaches work in a methodical manner.
- Anticipates obstacles to project completion and develops contingency plans.
- Estimates resources needed for project completion and ensures the timely completion of work.
- Reinforces safety policies and procedures. Reports and corrects unsafe situations.
- Successfully completes profitable projects from procurement through final payment.
- Leads and participates in interviews and presentations. Leads pursuit/preconstruction activities including the design process, budgeting, and identification of options, subcontractor selection, scope preparation, pricing, and proposal/bid preparation.
- Develops a thorough understanding of the contract documents and scope of work and reviews it with the project team; is seen as the contract expert on the project.
- Identifies project staff and equipment needs and coordinates with management to obtain necessary resources.
- Provides leadership to meet the project goals of safety, quality, production, schedule, and profit.
The Project Manager position requires sitting and standing associated with a normal office environment. The employee must be able to lift up to twenty pounds regularly and up to fifty pounds on an occasional basis. Manual dexterity is needed for using a calculator, computer keyboard, and writing by hand. A large portion of the work is done on a computer, so average vision acuity is necessary.
- Paid Holidays
- Sick Leave
- Bereavement Leave
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Company-paid Term Life Insurance, AD&D
- Medical and Dependent Care Flex Benefits Plans
- Company-paid Short-term Disability Insurance
- Company-paid Long-term Disability Insurance
- 401(k) (100% immediately vested company match)
- Travel Per Diem
- Continuing Education
- Safety Boot and prescription protective equipment reimbursement
Four-year technical degree and six years of construction experience or a two-year technical degree with eight years of construction experience or equivalent combination of construction experience and training.
Some overnight travel may be expected. Project Managers may be assigned to multiple jobsites simultaneously and travel to and from jobsites may be frequent.