Search for Jobs:
Project Manager Des Moines, IA
Nelson Construction & Development
Des Moines, IA
Nelson Construction & Development is a real estate developer, investor, and general contractor located in Des Moines, Iowa. Our twenty-two years of work include more than 3,000,000 square feet and $600,000,000 in both ground-up new construction as well as major award-winning historic renovations. Our work spans many states, including Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, and Illinois with a focus on multifamily apartments, senior living assisted living and memory care units, as well as various hotel, retail, parking garage, and office projects.
Nelson Construction & Development share one office (developer, investor, and general contractor), and are completely open with pipe line for projects, finances, and problem solving. Once the design has been started, the general contractor is involved with the developer throughout the design process. Through this process, the general contracting team gains additional information from the design team and also the opportunity to weigh in on the design means and methods.
Nelson Construction & Development only works on our own projects. Therefore there is no chasing and hard bidding projects. There is a firm commitment for each project, making the general contracting team able to start engaging on projects early.
General Contracting at Nelson looks different than a typical general contractor, and because of this - our employees have the opportunity to dive into our projects during design, solve problems/issues faster with the owner, and also always knowing projects are coming.
Nelson Construction & Development is a real estate and construction contractor firm seeking a qualified candidate that will be responsible for overall management and delivery of all assigned projects in accordance with project expectations. Nelson offers diverse projects including a variety of commercial, multi-family, and senior living.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for projects from preconstruction/design to project close-out.
- Review and write contracts and/or purchase orders for subcontractors.
- Develop and manage project schedule by using LEAN techniques.
- Manage project budgets and analyze job costs.
- Assist Project Engineer and Superintendent with RFIs, ASIs, and proposal requests.
- Assists Project Engineer and Superintendent on monitoring and updating construction schedules.
- Plan, develop and coordinate construction activities to support the on-site field team during the project.
- Procure subcontractors and materials.
- Promote job site safety, encouraging safe work practices, and rectifies job site hazards immediately.
- Display leadership and assure project responsibilities are carried out promptly and accurately.
- Communicate project expectations effectively to team members.
- Responsible for overall construction project delivery.
Benefits and Perks
- Competitive Compensation
- Performance Incentives
- Competitive Health Insurance (Wellmark BCBS)
- Dental Insurance with Vision Discount
- Retirement Plan with Employer Match
- Growth Opportunities
- Flex Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Schedule
- Fun Company Culture
- Paid Parental Leave
- Cell Phone Reimbursement
- Marriott Owner Discount for Personal/Family Travel
- Safety Supplies Provided
- Paid Holidays and PTO
Desired Skills and Experience
- Bachelor of Architecture, Construction Management, Engineering or related field preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience with commercial construction projects valued at $15mm.
- Possess strong leadership abilities, strong organization, judgment, and decision-making abilities.
- Proficiency in Procore, MS Office, MS Project, and Bluebeam for documentation, reporting, and scheduling.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive client/consultant/internal relationships.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment.