Search for Jobs:
Mechanical Engineer Urbandale, IA
Quality work for over 75 years.
Modern is a regional commercial and industrial Mechanical Contractor who is able to provide a one-stop source for plumbing, piping, HVACR service, CAD/BIM, and pre-fabrication project solutions. Our geographic area of focus is the I-35 corridor, Duluth, MN to Dallas, TX. Headquartered in Cedar Rapids, IA Modern has a strong presence in the East Half of Iowa. For more information please visit our website.
Mechanical Engineers play a key role in the successful planning and execution of projects. Reporting to the Engineering Lead, this full-time position provides mechanical related design and coordination to support delivery of commercial and industrial design-build projects to the customer. This includes managing activities related to HVAC design, plumbing design, project schedules, communicating with other engineers/trades as well as a current understanding of mechanical and plumbing codes and standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Preparation of engineering documents/blueprints and specifications to meet desired scope of work and to ensure application of mechanical design principles.
· Able to effectively communicate with the project team.
· An understanding of Architectural, Electrical, Civil and Structural Engineering and trade practices.
· May serve to support project management tasks depending on the scope of project.
· Provide technical and engineering support to other departments.
· Experience in 3D modeling, Revit, Navisworks preferred, but not required.
· Ability to manage simultaneous projects, organizing and prioritizing with attention to detail.
· Keep mechanical projects within the client’s budget limitations (Value Engineering).
· Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Working knowledge of Basic AutoCAD, Autodesk, Revit, Navisworks, Excel
· Load calculation/energy molding experience preferred (e.g. Carrier HAP, Trane Trace, etc.)
· Knowledge of engineering science and technology applications.
· Understanding of International Mechanical Code, Uniform Plumbing Code, and ASHRAE Standards.
· Effective written and verbal communication skills, both professional and interpersonal.
· The ability to work both independently and within a team.
Work Environment Considerations
· Must be able to work in high-pressure situations facing strict deadlines. Extended shifts may be necessary, and hours may exceed 40 per week to perform duties effectively
· Must be familiar with job site safety requirements and be prepared to wear a hardhat, work boots, and goggles at potentially hazardous job sites
· Most time will be in the office, but some trips to job sites and customer locations are required
· Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position
Qualifications and Education Requirements
· Bachelor’s or technical degree in mechanical engineering. Emphasis in HVAC or construction preferred.
· Engineer-in-training preferred, but not required
At Modern, we understand that every employee is different in his or her own way. We support and thrive off those differences. We do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, retaliation, military status, or other non-merit factors. Modern is a proud Equal Opportunity workplace and Affirmative Action employer.