Search for Jobs:
Mechanical Project Manager Ankeny, IA
Mechanical Project Manager
Baker Group, the Midwest’s leading provider of critical building infrastructure systems, is expanding its team of more than 1100 dedicated professionals. Headquartered in Ankeny, Iowa, Baker Group is the recognized leader in developing and deploying a variety of systems for commercial and industrial clients. With special expertise in Mechanical, HVAC, Plumbing, Piping, Electrical, Sheet Metal, Automation, Access Control, Security Cameras, Parking Revenue Control, Fire Alarm design and 24/7/365 Service, our team includes the breadth of skills required in the construction of highly technical, special-use buildings like hospitals, educational facilities, corporate office buildings, data centers, industrial facilities and research laboratories. To learn more about our company and our career opportunities, please visit www.thebakergroup.com.
Do you care about people and possess a passion for service? Do you love what you do and leap at the opportunity to solve complex challenges with equal parts creativity and teamwork? Are you mentally tough and excited by the prospect of exceeding expectations? Do you proudly take ownership in your work in a way that pushes you to partner with leadership to accomplish long-term goals and move your organization forward? If your answer to these questions is a resounding “Yes!” we want to visit with you about a career at the Baker Group.
Create and develop relationships supportive of the Baker Group mission statement with employees, internal and external customers. Under limited supervision, manages and administers the construction and delivery of Mechanical Projects. Manager will work with Team from procurement, conception, design, budgeting, detailing, prefabrication, on-site coordination, quality control, and all aspects of contract management.
Manage material, manpower, and processes of Mechanical Projects. Work with Team in preconstructions activities of design, budgeting, delivery planning. Manage project Team through construction phases including scheduling, detailing, prefabrication, purchasing, field manpower, and contract sub-contractors. Ensures that projects are executed profitably, accurately, on-time, within the scope of the contract and in alignment with customer expectations. Maintain and grow the “Customer for Life” concept for existing and new customers.
Functions and Responsibilities:
The following duties are typical for this job. These are not to be constructed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Manage material, manpower, and processes of mechanical projects
- Purchase material, schedule work, estimate change orders, and contract sub-contractors
- Execute assigned equipment projects and ensure assigned projects are executed profitably, accurately, on-time, within scope of contract, and in alignment with client expectations
- Continuously develop relationships with existing clients and pursue opportunities which provide long-term client relationships and revenue opportunities
- Participate in planning and formulation of design alternatives and solutions for major construction projects; provide conceptual estimates, feasibility studies, and cost estimates, and may coordinate production of basic design plans and construction documents
- Develop and administer project budgets and fiscal controls, contracts, and quality control provisions; perform project cost estimating and value engineering, as appropriate
- Oversee aspects of day-to-day management of construction projects; monitor and coordinate work performed by architectural, engineering, and construction firms
- Review and interpret proposed designs, architectural drawings, and building specifications for appropriateness to required function and/or institutional standard, and initiate revisions where appropriate; advise consultants and clients as to how best to achieve required results
- Ensure project operations are in compliance with design specifications
- Establish performance and delivery criteria, ensuring client requirements are met; prepare project specifications, and coordinate procurement
- Authorize contract, purchase order, and change order issuances, approve contractor invoices for payment
- Direct work sequencing to expedite project delivery and to minimize disruption of ongoing institutional operations
- Inspect, approve, and accept completed projects, ensuring conformance to building and life safety codes, and architectural/engineering specifications
- Represent Baker Group in business with clients, consultants, contractors, and other public and/or private agencies and organizations
- Research and prepare operations, equipment, policy, procedure, and/or other issue reports
- Act as account manager or single point of contact with clients during project execution
- Estimate mechanical pipe work
- Read and comprehend drawings, sketches, and contracts\
- Utilize computer estimating programs and accounting software programs
- Normal office conditions
- Exposure to weather, heat, cold
- Wet &/or humid
- Exposure to dust/fumes
- Noise intensity – Loud
- Exposure to toxic/caustic chemicals
- In proximity to moving mechanical parts
- Exposure to electrical shock
- Working in high/exposed places
- Tape Measure
- PPE (hard hat, safety glasses, safety boots, Hi-Vis vest)
- Clothing: jeans, appropriate office shirt
Baker Group offers a competitive compensation, excellent benefits, and a positive work environment. Wage is dependent on experience.
Baker Group is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
All positions are contingent upon successfully completing a drug test.
*Care About People* *Love What We Do* *Mentally Tough* *Own It*
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and veterans.
- Degree in Construction Science, Construction Management, or Civil/Mechanical Engineering OR
- Five+ years of directly related experience to the duties and responsibilities specified
- Construction knowledge require
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
• Valid driver’s license
Mental and Physical Competencies required to perform essential functions:
- Good vision and hearing
- Solid organization, communication, problem-solving, and leadership skills
- Knowledge of contract language
- Crisis management skills as well as personal management skills
- Basic accounting knowledge
- Computer skills
- Able to multi-task and be flexible
- Moderately exposed to unusual elements and may require moderate physical activity