Search for Jobs:
Carpenter (Rough & Finish) Des Moines, IA
Carpenter (Rough & Finish)
Des Moines, IA
Turner Constructions offers a wide range of construction services including general contracting, construction management, renovation, design-build, consulting, virtual design and construction, and the most comprehensive preconstruction services in the local market. Turner offers the stability, and resources of a multi-national organization with the flexibility, attention, and creativity of a local firm.
To apply for open positions visit www.turnerconstruction.com
Looking for a Carpenter to join our growing Turner team in Des Moines, Iowa area.
Competitive pay and excellent benefits provided including: Medical, Dental, Vision, Vacation and
Reports to: Foreman, Superintendent, and Trades Manager.
Schedule: this is a day shift position with a typical start time of 7am. Exact start time may vary by
project and timing.
Position Description: Responsible for organizing and completing related tasks at building
construction projects. Including, but no limited to constructing, erecting, installing, repairing
structures and fixtures of wood, plywood, and wallboard, using carpenter’s hand tools and power
tools, while confirming to local building codes.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Possess the skills necessary to complete rough carpentry work, site logistical work, fencing, deck and
platform building, protection systems, construction waste areas, and jobsite cleanup
- Shape or cut materials to specified measurements
- Erect scaffolding and ladders as needed
- Install structures and fixtures including but not limited to windows, doors, interior framing, slotted
channel (strut) framing, Bathroom partitions, acoustical ceiling, millwork, floorings, trim and
- Review jobsite needs with the superintendents & foreman and coordinates construction.
- Estimate, inventory, monitor, and request time, staff, material, and equipment needed to complete work
- Operate equipment such as forklifts, backhoe, skid steer, excavator, compactors, and construction hoist
- Assist with the overall site safety and quality programs as required and ensuring Trade employees/subcontractors compliance with Turner standards and all applicable safety codes, regulations, and jobsite security
- Maintain positive working relationships with customers, contractors, suppliers and other employees
- May need to travel
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Display a high level of teamwork, integrity, commitment, and leadership in daily operations
- May perform other duties as necessary or assigned
Employee Benefits are available 1st of the month after 60 days. Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance is available for employee and family coverage. Employee life insurance is paid by the company.
- Preferred candidate should have at least two (2) years of carpentry experience.
- Experience with metal studs, drywall, acoustic ceilings, doors and hardware preferred.
- Ability to read project drawings and basic knowledge of construction surveying
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of buildings or other structures, foundations, and framing
- Knowledge of arithmetic, basic geometry, and their applications to carpentry
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including uses, repair, and maintenance associated with carpentry and woodworking
- Ability to accommodate night and weekend work as needed
- Must be able to comprehend safety instructions and signage, communicate effectively in emergency situations and understand written safety instructions from tool and equipment manufacturers
- Valid driver’s license preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Constantly: Standing, Walking, Combined Standing and Walking, Lifting/Lowering/Carrying weight under 25lbs, Reaching below shoulder height. Bending/Twisting neck, Bending at the waist (forward & sideways), Balancing, Pushing/Pulling, Repetitive Motion, Hand/Wrist Flexion-Extension, Noise/Dust/Chemical Exposures.
Frequently: Lifting/Lowering/ Carrying Weights 25-50lbs, Reaching above shoulder heights, Climbing, Working on heights.
Occasionally: Sitting, Lifting/Lowering/ Carrying over 50lbs, Squatting, Kneeling, Crawling, and confined space hazards.
Vision abilities required include: close, distance, color, peripheral, depth, perception, and focus.
Hearing abilities required include: Hearing abilities required with or without the use of an aide.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee
encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing the duties
of this job, the employee regularly works on-site at the construction work site where the employee is
exposed to moving mechanical parts; high precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside
weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise in these work environments is usually
moderate to very loud.
May need to travel to local project sites.