Search for Jobs:
Estimator / Lead Estimator Ames, IA
Story Construction Co.
Estimator / Lead Estimator
$Based on Experience
Story Construction Co. is an employee-owned Merit-Shop general contractor with 85 years of experience. Story offers a full range of services and delivery methods including general construction, design-build, construction management, and Nucor pre-engineered buildings. Story has complete design-build capabilities with licensed architects on staff. Markets include manufacturing/warehousing/distribution facilities; food processing; water and wastewater treatment plants; educational facilities; healthcare facilities; churches and senior living facilities.
As innovators in the construction field since 1934, we’re constantly seeking ways to improve the process of building… in a brick-and-mortar sense and a people sense.
We are passionate about the construction process because we are builders at heart. We are in a rewarding business, in the finest region of our country, doing meaningful work. If you have a desire to be part of an employee-owned company that appreciates and encourages teamwork as well as the unique contributions of intelligent individuals, we'd love to hear from you.
We are currently looking to fill a role within our Estimating Team with either an Estimator or Lead Estimator, based on the candidate's knowledge, experience, skills, and abilities.
The Estimator will prepare cost estimates for construction projects to aid management in bidding on or determining the price of a construction project. A Lead Estimator performs all of the duties and responsibilities of an Estimator and has additional responsibilities.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Exhibits Story’s Core Values of Honest, Caring, Integrity, Hardworking, Helpful, and Planful.
- Reviews proposal specifications and drawings.
- Provides accurate quantity take-off based on the drawings and specifications.
- Reviews design options or construction options and determines best solutions based on cost, quality, and availability of materials, equipment, or other factors.
- Uses estimating software to prepare, develop, and facilitate estimates, bids, and takeoffs.
- Solicits and obtains material and subcontractor quotes and ensures understanding of project requirements, scope of work, work durations, schedule, and other aspects relevant to the project.
- Identifies and reports errors, ambiguities, and missing information in contract documents. Seeks additional information and clarification from Architects, Engineers, and Owners as needed.
- Produces estimates that are accurate and consider risk factors and construction methods.
- Maintains positive relations with clients, subcontractors, and the community.
- Communicates effectively with other members of the team and works as a part of a team.
Additional Responsibilities of a Lead Estimator Include:
- Responsible for putting together and finalizing estimates or proposals independently as well as in teams.
- Lead estimate pursuit teams through the process which includes making team assignments, checking project requirements, selecting subs/suppliers to invite, developing and implementing the approach to the pursuit, writing scopes, reviewing scopes written by others, reviewing estimates prepared by others, preparing customer estimate presentation documents and preparing historical estimates.
- Being an estimating resource for superintendents, project engineers, project managers, and company executives; analyze blueprints and other documentation.
- Reviews and assesses the cost-effectiveness of products, projects or services; confer with engineers, architects, owners, contractors and subcontractors on scope, adjustments, and value engineering on cost estimates.
- Develops conceptual, schematic, and design development estimates based on preliminary project information.
- Assists operations with coding, project start-up, and project closeout.
- Assists Estimating Manager with training and development of the estimating staff.
- Paid Holidays
- Sick Leave
- Bereavement Leave
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Company-paid Term Life Insurance, AD&D
- Medical and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Plans
- Company-paid Long-term Disability Insurance
- 401(k) (100% immediately vested company match)
- Travel Per Diem
- Continuing Education
- Safety Boot and prescription protective equipment reimbursement
- Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Engineering, Civil Engineering, or Construction Management
- Three or more years of experience in Commercial or Industrial Construction Estimating. Lead Estimators generally need seven or more years of experience. Experience in self-performed work, concrete, steel, and carpentry estimating preferred.
- Previous experience using Estimating and Digital Takeoff software. Proficiency using Sage/Timberline, eTakeoff, and Insite software preferred.
Additional Abilities Needed:
- Able to verbally communicate in a precise manner.
- Able to be firm in approaching others while being thoughtful to the need of the individual and team.
- Able to work under pressure and in high-stress conditions.
- Able to compose and develop written material that can be understood by others.
Story Construction is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Story Construction participates in E-Verify: Right to Work
Story Construction is a Drug-Free Workplace