Search for Jobs:
Assistant Project Manager Des Moines, IA
The Weitz Company
Assistant Project Manager
Des Moines, IA
The Weitz Company is one of the oldest general contractors in the United States, specializing in Commercial and Industrial construction projects, supported by a best-in-class Supply Chain business segment. We have forged our reputation by constantly seeking new construction innovations and technology that provide our clients and employees with predictable, reliable, and collaborative services. Our commitment to delivering a top quality product has resulted in long-standing customer relationships and recognition by industry rankings as one of the top contractors in the United States.
Weitz views employees as our most valuable asset, and the key to the success of the Company. Employees enjoy the ability to build relationships, network and make an impact on our communities. We promise every employee competitive pay and benefits, a safe place to work, a career path supported by training and development opportunities, and a positive work environment. Employees are encourage to work hard, have fun and build strong relationships along the way!
Our global construction group is comprised of Orascom Construction subsidiaries, The Weitz Company, Contrack Watts Inc., and Watts Constructors. Collectively, we specialize in Commercial, Federal, and Industrial construction projects with a best-in-class Supply Chain segment. We have forged our reputation by constantly seeking new construction innovations and technology that provide our clients and employees with predictable, reliable, and collaborative services. Our commitment to delivering a top quality product has resulted in long-standing customer relationships and recognition by industry rankings as one of the top contractors in the United States.
We view employees as our most valuable asset, and the key to our success. That’s why we provide team members a career (not just a job), supported by learning and development opportunities, and a positive, collaborative work environment. We offer the resources of a large company, while preserving our small company feel. Employees are encouraged to work hard, have fun and build strong relationships along the way! Community involvement, diversity and inclusion, and employee empowerment are central to our Company’s culture.
What We Offer:
- Competitive Pay
- Rewarding Bonus Program
- Comprehensive Benefits Package with Tax-Advantaged HSA and FSA offerings
- Employer-Paid Short and Long Term Disability Programs
- Employer-Paid Life Insurance
- Generous Paid Time Off Provisions
- 401K Retirement Savings Plan With Company Match
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Fully Paid Parental Leave
- Voluntary Products including: Pet Insurance, Critical Illness Insurance and Accident Insurance
- Corporate Wellness Program with Wellness Time Off and Rewards
We are currently accepting applications for a motivated Industrial Assistant Project Manager assigned to a project in Arkansas City, KS. This candidate will work out of the Des Moines, IA office when not on a jobsite.
The Assistant Project Manager assists in profitably managing all administrative and field construction activities related to assigned projects. The Assistant Project Manager typically reports to the Project Manager.
What You'll Do:
- Profitably manages a small project individually, or a larger project with a Project Manager’s oversight
- Assists with creating and updating the project schedule
- Negotiates, issues and executes subcontract and vendor change orders within delegated authority
- Prices and negotiates owner change orders within delegated authority
- Approves subcontractor and vendor pay applications
- Assists in the preconstruction and buy-out processes
- Drafts accurate scopes of work to be included in subcontracts and/or purchase order agreements
- Assists in the preparation and implementation of the project plan and updates
- Monitors material and equipment deliveries/shipping commitments to ensure project team is aware of status and potential project schedule impacts
- Ensures subcontract agreements and amendments are issued and follow up if necessary
- Understands contract terms and obligations to ensure work in progress is within scope
- Assists in the resolution of issues with subcontractors, vendors, architects and owners
- Contributes to ensuring project completion is on time or ahead of schedule and with the expected level of profitability
- Oversees RFI process if necessary; coordinates with project team; verifies impact and pricing
- Completes monthly project status reports (MPSR), owner billings and financial risk assessments
- Assists with project proposals and presentations as requested
- Performs other duties as assigned
What We're Looking For:
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each previously stated duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and ability necessary to succeed in this role.
- Education: An industry-related college degree is required. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Experience: A minimum of three (3) years of construction project management experience is required. LEAN principles experience is desirable. OSHA 10 or 30 preferred, or the willingness to obtain upon hire.
- Skills: Attention to detail, time management, judgment, communication, solid leadership, client relations, negotiation, project management, solid construction knowledge, decision-making, conflict resolution, tact, adaptable, problem solving, personal initiative and analytical abilities are all necessary skills for an Assistant Project Manager.
- Technology: Proficiency in basic computer software programs such as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook. Employee should have the ability to learn other software (ex: JDE, Procore, Bluebeam, Asta). Training will be provided on company standards.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position at this time.
The Company does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or agencies. Any resume submitted to any employee of the Company without a prior written search agreement will be considered unsolicited and the property of The Company. Please, no phone calls or emails.
The Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment (minorities, females, and veterans, individuals with disabilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected categories in accordance with state and federal laws). The Company is a drug and alcohol free workplace and background checks are required if applicable.