Search for Jobs:
Construction Worker Ames, IA
Story Construction Co.
$Based on Experience
Story Construction Co. is an employee-owned Merit-Shop general contractor with 85 years of experience. Story offers a full range of services and delivery methods including general construction, design-build, construction management, and Nucor pre-engineered buildings. Story has complete design-build capabilities with licensed architects on staff. Markets include manufacturing/warehousing/distribution facilities; food processing; water and wastewater treatment plants; educational facilities; healthcare facilities; churches and senior living facilities.
About Story Construction Co.:
As innovators in the construction field for the past 85 years, we’re constantly seeking ways to improve the process of building… in a brick-and-mortar sense and a people sense.
We are passionate about the construction process because we are builders at heart. We are in a rewarding business, in the finest region of our country, doing meaningful work. If you have a desire to be part of an employee-owned company that appreciates and encourages teamwork as well as the unique contributions of intelligent individuals, we’d love to hear from you.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
Successful Construction Workers for Story Construction are team players who take responsibility and pride in the quality of their work. As a Construction Worker, you are responsible for participating in a variety of building and construction projects using a wide variety of construction equipment, tools, and processes; you must work in a manner that helps to create a safe and healthy job site and support the Story Construction Core Values of being honest, caring, having integrity, hardworking, helpful, and planful.
- Preparing construction site each day by preparing materials, tools, and equipment
- Perform building and construction work which includes, but is not limited to concrete walls, foundations, and slab, structural steel and metal erection, interior, and exterior process pipe installation, and general carpentry and finishes
- With proper training, operate a variety of hand and power tools, forklifts, skid loaders, and other tools and equipment as directed
- Load and unload construction supplies and equipment
- Shovel materials to and from job site such as dirt, asphalt, etc.
- Site cleanup duties
- Conduct job site safety walk-through
- Follows all health and safety regulations when performing work and as otherwise instructed
- Train others on experienced tasks and learn tasks as needed or instructed
- Ensure that equipment and tools are cleaned and stored properly, and assist with inventory management
- Actively participate in work planning and KATA (continuous improvement process)
- Follow all company work and safety policies and procedures
- Additional duties as assigned
Story Construction is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Story Construction is a Drug-Free Workplace
Story Construction participates in E-Verify
Benefits For Full-time Construction Workers Include:
- Paid Holidays
- Sick Leave
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Company-paid Term Life Insurance, AD&D
- Medical and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Plans
- 401(k) (100% immediately vested company match)
- Travel Per Diem
- Safety Boot and prescription safety glasses reimbursement
- Ability to get self to and from job sites
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with others
- Demonstrated dependability
- Ability to travel out of town, and over-night as needed
- Minimum Tool Requirement: Toolbelt, 16oz or larger hammer, crescent adjustable wrench, screwdriver (6-1 type), tape measure, speed square, retractable utility knife, chalk box, Kline pliers
- Previous experience in construction
- Valid Driver’s License
Behavioral and Physical Function Requirements
The Construction Worker will work in conditions of repetitive movement, bending and twisting, climbing, using hands to lift, push, pull, carry, handle, control, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The Construction Worker lifts heavy objects (50+ pounds), walks and stands for long periods of time, and performs strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions. Must be able to read and follow instructions. Must be able to work harmoniously with others.
Jobsites are located throughout Iowa and may require employees to be gone overnight. While not common, it is possible to be assigned to a job in a surrounding state.