Search for Jobs:
Jobsite Superintendent Cedar Rapids, IA
Cedar Rapids, IA
Merit Construction is an employee owned commercial building contractor. We provide construction management services on a wide range of building projects. We manage the process of construction from conception to delivery and beyond. Our estimating staff, project and field management are of the highest quality.
Merit Construction is an Iowa based company located in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. We have been in business for 44 years and have primarily focused on commercial construction projects in Southeastern Iowa. However, we have developed relationships with several of our customers that will expand us to the Western areas of the state and beyond. In order for us to accommodate those needs we are seeking a full-time, Senior Superintendent to manage these projects on site.
• Manage and coordinate field personnel on a daily basis
• Read and understand complex construction documents
• Review trade contractor shop drawings and use for coordination with other trades
• Coordinate and manage the work of subcontractors
• Understand labor and material reports and utilize provided cost codes
• Understand scheduling of subcontractors and delivery of materials
• Read/understand/implement responsibilities of subcontracts and purchase orders
• Assist in and contribute to all required jobsite inspections (City/State/AHJ/OSHA/SWPPP)
• Manage tool and equipment inventory on jobsite
• Create and maintain detailed 5-week look a-head-schedules in Excel format
• Demonstrate the ability to provide alternatives and creativity to fellow workers
• Understand how to build in an efficient/effective manner
• Demonstrate the “Merit Mentality”
• Ability to manage multiple subcontractors on site
• Ability to perform layout with electronic devices
• Promote Merit Construction internally and externally
• Interact with the entire Project Team (Owner, Architect, Engineers, Subcontractors, Inspectors, Vendors, etc.)
• Professionally discuss project issues and present possible remedies
• Articulate well to others
• Possess computer skills such as Excel, e-mail and warehouse manager
• Promote a culture of safety at all levels of the organization
• Ensure compliance with company policies, state and federal laws, OSHA, building codes, non-discrimination requirements, etc.
• Has strong awareness of safety on jobsite and will empower others to call out any violations
• Keep safety in mind during all phases of the project for crew members, subcontractors and visitors
• Ensure that jobsite is always kept in a clean and organized manner
Quality Assurance and Quality Control
• Read and understands drawings and specifications.
• Perform “1st Installation Verifications” and possesses knowledge of “how to build” project from multiple trade standpoint.
• Maintain accurate and up-to-date As-Builts
• Lead Punchlist efforts
• Work with project manager to review design issues for clarification by design team
• Manage and coordinates field personnel on a daily basis
• Mentor project team
• Attend all Superintendent Meetings
• Display a positive attitude toward Merit Construction in all work dealings. Possesses positive attitude is displayed and reflected by the work crew, subcontractors and suppliers
• Demonstrate the “Merit Mentality” at and off work hours
• Assist in establishing initial site logistics plan, construction phasing and overall project schedule
· Advances learning through company-paid extended training and education courses to gain greater experience to achieve job objectives more effectively and efficiently.
• Full-time salaried position
• Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
• Stock options
• Company vehicle
• Life Insurance
• Ability to see the big picture
• Skill in assessing issues and making decisions and communicating/implementing the decisions quickly
• Knowledge of construction methods and engineering techniques as it relates to the product
• Skill in having the vision to see the project through completion
• Ability to resolve problems through conflict resolution and critical thinking
• Knowledge of product costs, labor costs and associated time frame essential to developing cost effective project budgets
• Ability to remain calm and collected during peak periods of jobsite activities
• Willingness to periodically work extended hours in order to do what’s best for the project
• Ability to use written and verbal communication effectively
• Ability to recognize when assistance is needed
• Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, area, circumference and volume
• Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry
If you are interested in this position and feel you meet these requirements, please e-mail your resume to Stuart Slaymaker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jobsite locations vary.