Search for Jobs:
Application Engineer Ankeny, IA
Baker Group, the Midwest’s leading provider of critical building infrastructure systems, is expanding the team. Headquartered in Ankeny, Iowa with over 600 employees, Baker Group is the recognized leader in Mechanical, HVAC, Plumbing, Piping, Sheet Metal, Electrical, Automation, Access Control, Security Cameras, Parking Revenue Control and Fire Alarm design and construction of highly technical, special-use buildings such as; hospitals, educational facilities, corporate office buildings, data centers, industrial facilities, and research laboratories. Please visit our website at www.thebakergroup.com to learn more about our company and other open positions we may have available.
This position is responsible for supporting Baker Group’s strategic goals while creating and developing relationships supportive of the Baker Group mission statement with employees, internal and external customers. Manage projects in a manner that compliments all facets of the project from design to owner training. Maintain and grow the “Customer for Life” concept for existing and new customers.
This position is responsible for developing Automation design drawings, standard installation details, wiring diagrams, points lists, and equipment sequences of operation. They will assist in developing design and installation best practices and assist the management team in developing and maintaining the engineering and estimating tools and parts databases.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are typical for this job. These are not to be constructed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Work with the engineering and leadership team within the automation BU and companywide assisting with the direction of strategic initiatives that improve our delivery, differentiate Baker Group, reduce our costs, and improve our quality.
- Provide sales support as needed to assist project manager / sales to obtain more work. Assists in customer demos, estimating work, product application information and creation of proposals
- Ensures employee satisfaction by continual coordination and communication
- Responsible for executing scope and pointing out opportunities for items above and beyond contracted scope of work
- Responsible for understanding and adhering to contract terms and conditions
- Become the subject matter expert for Designer Suite engineering tool. Work with Team to develop best practice library and smart shapes. Create format for consistent look and content of our engineering submittals
- Become the subject matter expert for Designer Suite engineering tool. Work with Team to develop best practice library and smart shapes. Create format for consistent look and content of our engineering submittals.
- Become subject matter expert for Tridium, Alerton, and Schneider Electric products. Assist project management with road maps for estimating migration of existing controls as well as future direction on new systems.
- Responsible for engineering and producing project control submittals utilizing Baker Group’s standard engineering software, selecting Baker Group’s standard parts when applicable, and producing control submittal with the necessary information as per Baker Group’s standard control submittal format
- Work with engineering team to review product standards, control submittal formats, inventory, and any other items as necessary related to engineering control systems
- Work with engineering team and field electricians / technicians to continually improve our engineering process, accuracy, and quality.
- Work with project managers, engineering team and mechanical design engineers to develop sequence of operations for equipment.
- Responsible for re-estimating projects based upon engineered control submittals.
- Provide as built documentation for operation and maintenance after the project is complete.
- Assist with updating our as built process for a better quality product.
- Initiate and / or participate turnover meetings to engineering and field discussing project scope, safety, timelines, etc.
- Utilize and enhance company standard documents for business development, pre-proposal checklists, project tracking,field labor scheduling, turnovers, subcontracts, purchase orders, warranty, etc.
- Accurate daily time and equipment reporting
What we are proud to offer you:
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Vacation Time
- Personal Time
- Paid Holidays
- 401K Plan
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- Short Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- Financial Advisor
- Paid Training
MINIMUM EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- 4 year Technical Degree OR
- Equivalent experience in the industry may be substituted for this requirement
- Understanding of HVAC and Automation Systems
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL COMPETENCIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work while minimally supervised and at times unsupervised
- Understand numerous computer operating systems and drafting applications
- Advanced knowledge of computers
- Excellent typing skills