Search for Jobs:
Project Engineer Ames, IA
Story Construction Co.
$Based on Experience
Story Construction Co. is an employee-owned Merit-Shop general contractor with 85 years of experience. Story offers a full range of services and delivery methods including general construction, design-build, construction management, and Nucor pre-engineered buildings. Story has complete design-build capabilities with licensed architects on staff. Markets include manufacturing/warehousing/distribution facilities; food processing; water and wastewater treatment plants; educational facilities; healthcare facilities; churches and senior living facilities.
As innovators in the construction field for the past 85 years, we’re constantly seeking ways to improve the process of building… in a brick-and-mortar sense and a people sense.
We are passionate about the construction process because we are builders at heart. We are in a rewarding business, in the finest region of our country, doing meaningful work. If you have a desire to be part of an employee-owned company that appreciates and encourages teamwork as well as the unique contributions of intelligent individuals, we’d love to hear from you.
Position Summary: The Project Engineer provides project engineering, estimating, expediting, and office support for general construction and construction management projects focusing primarily on MakeCertain! Tasks. At Story, Project Engineers are able to hone and develop their skills in a team environment.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Assists in pursuits and preconstruction activities – presentations, estimating and bidding and buying the job.
- Develops a thorough understanding of the contract documents and estimate.
- Communicates with Owner, Architect, Engineer, Subcontractors, and Suppliers.
- Issues subcontracts and purchase orders as assigned.
- Assists with setting up project schedule of values and completing monthly pay applications. Assists with payment approval of invoices.
- Responsible for submittal process including ensuring that submittal schedule coincides with the Production Schedule. Responsible for O & M submittals.
- Provides information to the Field as required, i.e. Lift Drawings, Layout Drawings, Flow Diagrams, Sections as needed for decision making.
- Assists with laying out the project, checking grades, and becomes proficient at the use of the total station.
- Assists in calculating production rates in a form the crew understands and can use.
- Assists in ensuring that all work on the project meets both the contract requirements and Story’s quality standards.
- Assists with completing required monthly/weekly/daily documentation and reporting.
- Assists with Cost Projections & Monthly PM Report.
- Assists with pricing and drafting change request proposals and maintains log.
- Updates subcontracts, purchase orders, and project budget with changes.
- Assists with creating, monitoring, and updating punch list.
- Assists with Project Close Out. Sees that Project As-Builts are up to date and submitted. Participates in close-out meeting. Assists in Start-Up and scheduling owner training.
- Paid Holidays
- Sick Leave
- Bereavement Leave
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Company-paid Term Life Insurance, AD&D
- Medical and Dependent Care Flex Benefits Plans
- Company-paid Long-term Disability Insurance
- 401(k) (100% immediately vested company match)
- Travel Per Diem
- Continuing Education
- Safety Boot and prescription protective equipment reimbursement
Four-year technical degree or a two-year technical degree with two years of experience or equivalent combination of experience and training.
Some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected. Project Engineers are assigned to jobsites located across the state.