Search for Jobs:
Superintendent Ames, IA
Story Construction Co.
$Based on Experience
Story Construction Co. is an employee-owned Merit-Shop general contractor with 85 years of experience. Story offers a full range of services and delivery methods including general construction, design-build, construction management, and Nucor pre-engineered buildings. Story has complete design-build capabilities with licensed architects on staff. Markets include manufacturing/warehousing/distribution facilities; food processing; water and wastewater treatment plants; educational facilities; healthcare facilities; churches and senior living facilities.
About Story Construction
As innovators in the construction field for the past 85 years, we’re constantly seeking ways to improve the process of building… in a brick-and-mortar sense and a people sense.
We are passionate about the construction process because we are builders at heart. We are in a rewarding business, in the finest region of our country, doing meaningful work. If you have a desire to be part of an employee-owned company that appreciates and encourages teamwork as well as the unique contributions of intelligent individuals, we’d love to hear from you.
The Superintendent is the Company's "Business Unit Manager" responsible for the safe completion of the project within the budget, on schedule, to Story’s quality standards, and to the customer's satisfaction. Generally, the Superintendent’s role will concentrate on detailed planning and scheduling, subcontractor coordination, the identification of future "opportunities," participation in pre-construction activities and the solving of problems prior to their impact on the project.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Exhibits Story’s Core Values of Honest, Caring, Integrity, Hardworking, Helpful, Planful.
- Assists the foremen and staff in their professional development through mentoring, teaching, training and coaching.
- Increases the effectiveness and efficiency of the foremen and the crew by providing all the inputs necessary to allow high-quality work assignments and work zones to be created for each crew.
- Ensures that all logistical support is completed timely so the foremen can concentrate on the daily crew production planning, execution, and improvement.
- Creates a positive environment on the job site for continuous learning and improvement.
- Responsible for the day-to-day onsite management of projects.
- Develops a complete understanding of the plans and specifications, including how the company’s and subcontractors’ work interface.
- Orders materials, tools, and equipment; ensures accurate inventory records are maintained.
- Leads the deployment and execution of project and schedule planning and all other project management tools. Prioritizes and plans work activities and approaches work in a methodical manner.
- Monitors progress records, material usage reports, and analyzes costs.
- Estimates resources needed for project completion and ensures timely completion of work.
- Assists with cost projections and monthly cost report. Anticipates obstacles to project completion and develops contingency plans.
- Reports and corrects potentially unsafe conditions.
While performing the job duties, the employee may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts, and vibration, within OSHA standards. Job tasks are performed in close physical proximity to other people. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud. The position regularly works near moving mechanical parts and in outside conditions that include inclement weather, heat and humidity, extreme cold, and exposure to dust.
The employee will work in conditions of repetitive movement, bending or twisting, and using hands to lift, push, pull, carry, handle, control, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee lifts heavy objects, walks and stands for long periods of time, and performs strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions.
Story Construction is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Story Construction participates in E-Verify: Right to Work
Story Construction is a Drug-Free Workplace
- Paid Holidays Vacation
- Sick Leave
- Bereavement Leave
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Company-paid Term Life Insurance
- AD&D Medical and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Plans
- Company-paid Long-term Disability Insurance
- 401(k) (100% immediately vested company match)
- Travel Per Diem
- Continuing Education
- Safety Boot and prescription protective equipment reimbursement
Four-year technical degree and four years construction experience or a two-year technical degree with six years of construction experience or equivalent combination of construction experience and training.
Some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected. Superintendents are assigned to jobsites located across the state.