Search for Jobs:
Foreman Ames, IA
Story Construction Co.
$Based on experience
Story Construction Co. is an employee-owned Merit-Shop general contractor with over 70 years of experience. Story offers a full range of services and delivery methods including general construction, design-build, construction management, and Butler pre-engineered buildings. Story has complete design-build capabilities with licensed architects on staff. Markets include manufacturing/warehousing/distribution facilities; food processing; water and wastewater treatment plants; educational facilities; healthcare facilities; churches and senior living facilities.
As innovators in the construction field for the past 85 years, we’re constantly seeking ways to improve the process of building… in a brick-and-mortar sense and a people sense.
We are passionate about the construction process because we are builders at heart. We are in a rewarding business, in the finest region of our country, doing meaningful work. If you have a desire to be part of an employee-owned company that appreciates and encourages teamwork as well as the unique contributions of intelligent individuals, we’d love to hear from you.
Foremen are members of Story’s management and supervisory teams. Foremen are expected to be generally competent and actively improving ability to provide their crews with the “Six Elements” (Information, Environment, Manpower, Materials, Tools and Equipment). They are responsible for communicating a sense of urgency to their crew members and helping them to form and reach common goals. It is the Foreman’s duty to support the creation of a detailed step level plan with the crew, to support the crew’s goals, and to hold crew members accountable for meeting their goals. Foremen are responsible for helping create an environment that promotes growth and retention of their crew members through mentoring and training.
Foremen need to evaluate and understand their position and current skill level and continually improve their communication, technical, teaching, and delegation skills. Foremen must also show their leadership skills and successfully supervise their crews by taking the lead to plan each work activity, making certain that quality work is put in place safely and productively.
- Provides and promotes a safe work environment by identifying and eliminating or managing hazards at the jobsite.
- Actively participates in End of Shift and Weekly Team Production Meetings. Uses Story’s communication tools to show what assignments their crews will complete and when.
- Identifies and resolves MakeCertain! Tasks as necessary to allow Daily Crew Production Assignments to pass the CAN Filter.
- Develops Step Level Plans with the crew and the help of the Superintendent.
- Holds daily crew meeting to ensure safe, high-quality, cost-effective production by the crew.
- Ensures the Six Elements are available for the crew.
- Helps to create a positive, supportive, can-do environment with a sense of urgency on the jobsite.
- Builds and delivers downline training.
- Communicates with the superintendent as necessary to support his or her needs.
- Provides the necessary leadership to meet the project goals for safety, quality, production, and schedule.
- Performs required tool and equipment/management and maintenance or makes arrangements for maintenance to be completed.
At least 5 years construction experience
Some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected. Foremen are assigned to jobsites located across the state.